Monday, April 12, 2010

12/07/09 through Christmas and New Years

This is what we did for Preparation Day. We hiked up Cerro Santa Lucía, which is a big hill in the middle of Santiago. It´s probably the first touristic thing that I´ve done since I´ve been here.







This is what we did on New Year's Eve:



Happy New Year to all of you guys. I´m glad you liked your gifts. I got the second christmas package last week. Thanks so much. I´m glad that I didn´t lose that one, because that was the one that had letters from the family. Oh yeah, and I´m going to use some of that Christmas money that came in the card to re-sole one of the pairs of my shoes. So that way I´ll have that pair to beat up, and the new pair that I asked for can be my nice pair of shoes. We had a pretty good new years eve down here. We were working all day, and nobody really was listening to us because they were all getting ready for their parties. Then the Bishop called and invited us over to celebrate new years with him and his family. We went up there for a couple hours and ate a little bit, and played a board game, but we still had to be back in the pension at 10:00pm, so that was kind of lame. Then we were all in bed before midnight, but we couldn´t sleep because we live in an apartment complex and there were lots of parties going on around our apartment. But it was a good new years. I´m pretty excited for this upcoming year, it´s going to be a good one. Thanks for everything. By the way, in the package that you send with the shoes, I don´t really need anymore candy. I think that Christmas candy is going to hold us over for a while.


12/28/09
Hey Mom,
Wow, I don´t know if it felt the same way for you, but that phone call felt like fifteen minutes. After I hung up the phone, I just felt like talking to you guys for another couple of hours. Thank you so much for the Christmas presents, everything was perfect. Thanks for the ties, that brown one that you got is awesome, I think it is my new favorite tie. And thanks for the rubix cube revolution. When I saw it I thought it looked dumb, but it actually is pretty fun. And my companion got sick on Saturday so we were in the apartment all day. So I cleaned a lot, and read, and played with the rubix cube. We had changes today, but nothing is different in our sector. I´m still in La Dehesa with Elder Page, just like last sector. I have to tell you, this sector is pretty tough. We had fifteen people to visit one day, and only one was actually home when we stopped by. I think that is why I have holes in my shoes, from walking around all day. Did Luis ever get a hold of you guys? I hope so. Well, I hope you guys had a good Christmas. Love you.
Love,
Matt


12/21/09
This week flew by. There was a Christmas activity at the temple all week and they pulled my companion and me out of our sector to help there every afternoon. So we actually have a lot of catch up to do this week. But that´s ok, everything will be back to normal soon enough. Like I told you a couple of weeks ago, we´re going to have lunch with an american family that has free long distance to the US, so I´ll be calling you this year. I´m going to call at 2:30am Chilean time, I´m pretty sure that is going to be 10:30am in Utah. We have a one hour time limit.

Also, the son of the family I lived with in Pirque is going to BYU next semester. He´s actually going to be flying out on Christmas Eve and get to Provo on Christmas Day. His name is Luis San Martin and I gave him some stuff to take to you guys. I gave him your address and your phone number. He doesn´t have a car so I think he´ll probably give you guys a call sometime on Christmas day, and you guys can go pick him up and get the things from him. Also, I don´t think he has anything to do or anyone to be with Christmas day, so maybe he could have dinner with you guys or something. But Luis should give you a call Friday afternoon.

The Christmas package hasn´t gotten here quite yet, but we have one more mail drop before Christmas, so if it comes before Wednesday I´ll have it on time. Thanks for everything. Talk to you on friday morning.

Love,
Matt


12/14/09
This week was a pretty good week. Although as you guys are getting snowed in, it´s getting hotter and hotter down here. I got a little sunburnt this week and had to start wearing sunscreen everyday. This week had a zone conference and the Area President of Chile talked to us all morning. It was a really cool conference because it was question and answer all morning. The last couple of weeks have been hectic here in my sector because one of the Elders in the other companionship had to go home for his knee. So for a week we were a trio. Then last monday they called us, and a half an hour later we got another Elder to make two full companionships. Then today, the Elder that came last week finished his mission and is going home, and they ended up taking the other companionship out of the sector. So now I don´t half a co-zone leader in the sector. I don´t know exactly what´s going on. But this week was still a pretty good week. On Friday night we had a ward christmas activity, and four families from the ward brought friends. That was really cool, because now we have some people to teach. Also, at the christmas activity, the missionaries had to do a musical number. So we played Jingle Bells on the nose flute and the kazoo. It was ridiculous, but it made everybody laugh. Also, we taught a deaf girl this week. It was funny because I couldn´t really communicate with her very much. But my companion, who can´t communicate with people in Spanish yet, took four years of American Sign Language in High School, so he could talk to her a little bit. At least better than me. It was pretty cool because he gets kind of down because he struggles with spanish sometimes, but he was able to talk to this girl a lot better than I could. So I think that made him feel pretty good. Also, this upcoming week my companion and I have to help out with a Temple Square Christmas activity all week. So I think our sector is going to kind of die this week. But it will be fun. But it will be consuming a lot of our time this week. I can´t believe Christmas is almost here. This year has gone by pretty fast. Thanks for everything. Talk to you next week.
Love,
Matt


12/07/09
Hey,
President hasn´t said anything about phone calls for Christmas yet so I´m not sure what´s going to happen. But here in the sector where I am, there are quite a few families from the United States that have a long distance plan with unlimited long distance, and we have lunch with one of them on Christmas day, so I think I might be calling you guys this year. Sounds like everybody is doing good. Everything is good here. There actually isn´t too much to report on this week. Although one cool thing that happened was when one of the less active members that we have been teaching went to church and bore her testimony because it was fast and testimony meeting. It was really cool, and she has two sons that aren´t members so we´re hoping to start teaching them and get them going to church also. On Sunday, we actually helped one of the gringo families in the ward put up their christmas tree, and put lights and decorations on it. And that is the family we will be having lunch with Christmas day, and we´ll be calling from their house on Christmas. So I´m going to have a gringo christmas in Chile this year, I bet it will be fun. Thanks for everything. Talk to you next week. Hopefully I´ll have some concrete details about how we´re going to call each other.

Love,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment