Monday, October 4, 2010

June 2010

June 28, 2010
This week was pretty good. I was sick for the first part of the week, so that wasn´t too fun. But I´m almost completely over it. Saturday was a good day. In the morning we played soccer with a bunch of members from the branch and some investigators. It was a lot of fun, because in my last sector we hardly ever got to play soccer. It was fun to get out and run around a little bit. In the nighttime a member from the branch called and invited us over to eat completos (they´re chilean hotdogs). I thought that the member that invited us over knew it was my birthday because we had talked about birthdays a couple of weeks ago, but we went over there and nobody said anything about my birthday. Then the next day at church somebody said happy birthday to me and the family that invited us over for completos overheard, and they said that they had no idea. So I guess we just lucked out.

On Sunday my companion and I had to give talks in sacrament meeting. Then I had to teach the young men and young women in Sunday School about David, Bath-sheba, and the Law of Chastity. It was a funny class. As far as investigators go, we´re teaching a lot of good people, but almost all of our investigators are married to their first spouse and living with someone. It looks like that happens a lot here in Chile because the government makes it so hard to get divorced.

Things are going good. It´s really cold here, but it hasn´t snowed yet. But people tell me that in a couple of weeks it´ll start snowing. On my alarm clock there is a thermometer, and last night when we got home it was about 40 degrees fahrenheit inside the house. When we get home we pretty much plan and get straight into bed, and sometimes we start a fire in the fireplace. Even though this is the coldest area, it is definately one of the best areas in the whole mission. I am really lucky to be here. Thanks for everything.

June 21, 2010
That´s good that you guys are almost all settled in at the new house. The more I think about it, I´m glad that you guys moved before I get back because moving and unpacking is a pain in the butt. Don´t worry about the pants, I can get them hemmed down here. It won´t be a problem in this branch, there are a couple of members here that are kind of possessive about the missionaries. This sector is split up into eleven little towns or villages as you´re going up a big canyon, and whenever we go to one of the little towns we have to go visit all of the members there or else they get offended. It´s kind of ridiculous, but it has it´s perks as well. This week one of the members gave my companion and I a pair of wool socks to sleep in, which were much needed. In this area almost all of the members are converts from the last four years, which is good because they all love missionaries, but bad because they don´t really know what they´re doing when it comes to callings and stuff like that.

This week it rained quite a bit, and quite a few parts of our area got really muddy, but the good thing is I got a pair of boots from the mission. The boots have helped out a ton, because on one day when it was raining we had to walk through puddles that went past our ankles, it was crazy. Also, a couple of days this week we had to start a fire in the fireplace and study right in front of the fireplace because it´s so cold in the morning. It´s also cold in the night, but the thermals that you sent me last year for my birthday are saving my life. I pretty much never take them off.

The world cup is going on in South Africa right now and Chile classified this year for the first time in twelve years. They have already played two games and they won both of them, so it´s looking good for Chile this year. Hopefully they make it pretty far, that would be cool. Everyone pretty goes crazy while Chile plays. For example, Chile played last week at 7:30 in the morning, and the schools didn´t open until 10:30, so that the kids could watch the game, then go to school. Thanks for everything.

June 14, 2010
Here are some pictures from the last little bit. We took some pictures with the recent converts from the ward, and we had a barbeque Saturday night to say goodbye to me because everyone was pretty sure that I was going even though it wasn´t for sure.






June 14, 2010
Well, you guys are about finished with a week and a half long move, I am just finishing a 12 hour move. We had changes today. I got the call last night at about 10:30, and had to pack my bags and be ready to go at 7:00 this morning. I know I have a lot less stuff but packing in an hour or two is not fun. The move was a pain in the but because I came from the furthest northern area in the whole mission, and now I´m in pretty much the furthest sector away from where I was. But it´s all good, now I just need to unpack.

So I´m in a branch named San José de Maipo. In our mission there are only two branches, and I was in the other branch for about seven months, now I´m in the second branch. My guess is I´ll probably stay here until the end of my mission since I´ve only got four months left. I don´t know too much about the new area yet, except that I´m going to be spending a lot of money on taking the bus. And my new companion was telling me that the missionaries teach the young men and young women class every sunday, and the temple preparation class, and sometimes the primary class. Don´t ask me how that´s possible, but that´s what he said. So it looks like I´m going to be busy here.

It was sad leaving my last area, since I had been there for such a long time. I´m not going to be living with Elder Measom anymore, and I´m not going to be companions with the Elder that got his patriarchal blessing from Grandpa McLean. That will be sad. Being in a branch again, I´m going to be living alone with my companion, and we´re out in the middle of nowhere, so we don´t even have zone or district class. Actually, I´m technically the district leader of my companion and me, that´s it. So I´m pretty much isolated from the mission. When I get mail, I have to make a special trip up to the mission office just to pick it up. This is going to be crazy, but it will be a lot of fun too.

Thanks for everything. And actually not sending the package yet is a good thing, because I need some white baptismal pants. A couple of weeks ago, the other companionship in my ward had a baptism and the kid that got baptized needed pants, so I took my pants to church, and I honestly don´t know if they got used or not, but in the end I couldn´t find them when I looked for them. I remember you said that when I thought I lost the white pants the first time you said you bought another pair but didn´t send them because I found the pants. I hope it´s not too big of a problem for space, but it would be really nice if you could send them to me. Thanks again.







DESSERT CONTEST AT THE CHURCH June 5,2010







6/07/10
Well, it sounds like you guys have just had a hectic week. But at least it was fun. That´s crazy that you´ve already moved. I wasn´t expecting that news for another couple of weeks. Well, you´re going to have to send pictures soon. Also, I heard that you got an e-mail with my flight plans. You should forward me that e-mail.

Things are going good here in Chile. We had a baptism yesterday, it was good. It was our second earthquake baptism. We found this lady the day of the earthquake. Also on Friday night we did an activity at the church. It was a Dessert contest. It went pretty well, we had about 60 people there, not too bad of a turnout. We made a couple of key lime pies for the contest. There were a bunch of categories to win in, like Best Tasting, Best Dessert Made by a Man, Best Dessert Made by a Kid, Most Original, Biggest Dessert, and we won Best Tasting. It cost us a bunch to make the pies because cream cheese is really expensive down here, but it was worth it, because everyone loved the pies.

Well, thanks for everything. Can you send me the address of the new house? I think I´m going to have to give the mission the new information. I love you and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment